Safed is the place to be during Chanukah. The weather is generally still mild and autumn-like and the city is hopping with activities. One of the highlights of Chanukah in Safed involves the Chanukah Candles Tours that are offered each night (except Shabbat). Both Shvil HaLev/Path of the Heart and the Tzfat Kabbalah Center offer tours each evening where visitors can hear the mystical stories of miracles and see the various traditions of Chanukah candle-lighting throughout the Old Jewish Quarter of Safed. According to Jewish tradition, Chanukah candles should be displayed in the windows and doorways of homes and other buildings to "publicize the miracle of Chanukah." Following this tradition many Safed residents place their menorahs in their stone, arched doorways and windows, lighting up the city lanes with both simple and elaborate Chanukiyot.
Calendar of Daily Events, Tours, Seminars Chanukah 2016
Kabbalah-inspired pieces of art from Tzfat Artists
Chanukah Experience at Ascent! Dec 23 - Jan 1
Prepare for Chanukah with the Jewish Meditation Retreat.
Then, during Chanukah, join Ascent for activities
▪ Musical Menorah Lighting
▪ Creative Art Workshops
▪ Candle Making Workshop.
▪ Learn the mystical dimensions of Chanukah
▪ Spread the light of Chanukah to the needy and Volunteer!
▪ Meet people from around the world
▪ Magical Mystical Candlelit Tour of the Old City
▪ Nature Hike
▪ Spirited Shabbat Meals
▪ Explore Tzfat & the Galilee
▪ Classes & Workshops on Kabbalah
▪ Live Music & Jam Sessions
Workshops make your own Menorah or other interesting objects
Contact Kathleen 058-480-8502 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kabbalah of Glassblowing
Reserve a space 058-714-7640 or 050-430-5107. Email email@example.com
- Musical Carlebach Hallel House of Love and Prayer -- Carlebach Style Hallel every morning of Chanukah. 7:30 Shacharit 8:30 Hallel. Bring your instruments. Inside the 1st floor of the Jerusalem mall above the supermarket and Maccabi health fund (Bank HaPoalim building -- the bank is on the 5th floor)
- There are many activities to do within the city, including a walking tour of the Old Jewish Quarter. Visitors can take a tour with a tour guide or may take a virtual self-guided tour with a smartphone (or, if you don't have a smartphone, you can watch the video tour before you set out on your walk).
- There are accommodations to match any budget if you want to stay in the city overnight.
- Visit a local olive press to learn about how olive oil is made (and maybe do a little olive picking, if you can find some trees that haven't been harvested)
- Some of the local sites that you can access by bus include:
- a. the tomb of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai at Meron (bus 361 from the Central Bus Station leaves every 1/2 hour and passes Meron on its way to Haifa);
b. the Hula Nature Reserve (bus 511 -- 1-559-599-599)from the Central Bus Station passes by the Hula Nature Reserve on its way to Kiryat Shmoneh);
c. Tiberias (bus 450 from the Central Bus Station goes directly to Tiberias);
d. Rosh Pinna (bus 511 (1-599-559-559)passes through Rosh Pinna on its way to Kiryat Shmoneh);
e. Ice-skating in Ma'alot (bus 367 (1-599-559-559) from the Central Bus Station);
f. Canada Center (swimming and ice-skating) in Metulla (bus 511 1-599-559-559 )to Kiryat Shmoneh and then a cab to Metulla;
g. Talmudic Village, Golan Winery in Katzrin (bus 511 1-599-559-559)to Hatzor HaGlilit and then bus 53 to Katzrin
h. Nahariya, a seaside town about an hour west of Safed. Bus 367 (1-599-559-559) travels directly there and back a few times daily. Great
Local hikes which start from Safed include Biriya hike, Nahal Amud hike, Nahal Rosh Pinna hike (1 hour, begins on the road that skirts Cana'an area of Safed just past the police station on the right and the supermarket on the left
- Additional area hikes
- Local Pool. Call for times 04-6922288 -- there are times for separate swimming (men/women) and times for mixed swimming.
- Visit to cheese-making -- HaMeiri Cheeses, Kadosh Cheeses
- Visit to the HaMeiri Museum of Safed history
- Otzar HaStam Interactive activity that allows people of all ages to learn about and experience the art of creating holy parchments for Torah scrolls, tefillin and mezuzzot. Audio visual presentation and experiential activities.
- Israel Extreme Tzfat-based "extreme" activities including rappelling, rock-climbing and caving.
- Hatzor Archaeological Excavations -- Nateeve Express Bus 511 to Hatzor and then a cab ride to one of the most extensive archaeological excavations in Israel.
- Third Temple Exhibit.